Tomorrow is the day we leave for the adventure of a
lifetime.
Many things have led to this day. For us, of course, there was the
paperwork. There were the social worker
visits, fingerprinting appointments, and immigration approvals. There was OH. MY. GOD. THE. PACKING for 6
people, one of whom I have never met, for 2 ½ weeks. If this kid doesn’t like
giant flower headbands, a small piece of my soul will surely wither to
ash.
But there were also things that led to this day that
happened somewhere else. The gravity and
heartbreak of what happened to our daughter and her birthmother on a summer day
in 2012 in China will never leave me. We
will get the privilege of raising this little girl--sharing in her joys and
sorrows, going to her school performances, brushing her hair, baking muffins, helping
her fill out college applications. For
reasons most of us will never be able to understand, there is one other mother
who will not. This part always nearly breaks me, yet we’re
the one who are getting the best end of the deal. I can’t imagine how the other missing piece
of this puzzle feels. So while we are SO
grateful for all the well wishes and prayers we’ve received, would you take a moment to spare a
kind thought or whisper a prayer for the mother who had to walk away?
During 15 hours of bliss, we fly from San Francisco direct
to Hong Kong tomorrow. We will then drag
our incoherent selves to Kowloon where we’ll stay for 2 days at…(drumroll
please)…The Nathan Hotel. You might
think we chose it for rather obvious reasons.
But you’d be wrong. This picture on
the hotel’s website is definitely what did it.
Who can say no to free name brand hygiene products? Not me. On Friday, we take a
train to mainland China and fly from there to the city where we will meet our
new daughter and sister. She will be
brought to our hotel on Sunday.
By the way, we did get an update on her this week. She’s gained some weight and is
walking!!! Can you even stand the
preciousness?! And it looks like they
are letting her hair grow out?! Usually
our kids come to us with heads that have a cleaner shave than my legs.
Ok, one more thing, then I’ll shut up. If you’ve read this whole blog, remember the post where I talked about
affording adoption and how somehow things have always worked out for us? Well, I was hitting the Pepto Bismol pretty
hard last week because we had received no grants and it was time to pay final
travel fees. But on Wednesday, we
received two grants and a gift from my parents!
On Thursday, Nathan got an unexpected bonus, not to mention a nice raise. So in 2 days, a huge portion of our adoption
costs were covered. And the rest will be covered by the adoption tax credit.
Lovely blog readers, new and not so new: We LOVE your
comments and emails. If you are reading,
please comment, even if it’s just to say hi and tell us about your day. While adoption trips are amazing and
beautiful and life changing in the best possible way, they can also be messy,
heartbreaking and isolating. There is no way to describe the feeling of being
in a foreign country with a terrified and possibly grief stricken child who doesn’t know
you, surrounded by unfamiliar sights, sounds and smells, and thousands of miles
from anyone who might recognize your name. Suffice to say, there are some pretty intense
moments. So if you stop by here, for the
love of unicorns, please tell us what you had for breakfast.
See you in Hong Kong!


Praying for safe and easy travel! Can't wait to see pictures of you united with your daughter!
ReplyDeletePraying for safe travels for your family. Looking forward to reading about your travels and seeing pictures of your new daughter with her new family. You and Nathan are truly amazing parents.
ReplyDeleteGood luck and safe travels. I can't wait to see the pics of that gorgeous girl in your arms xx
ReplyDeleteGosh Lindsey, in the midst of what must feel like complete turmoil, you take even a second to think about Tallulah's birth mom. It kind of says it all to me, and I will definitely take a time out today to think about her and to wish her well. You guys have been through this before, so you know there will be hard moments. You'll get through them with flying colors, and little Tallulah will come to love you all, hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm so excited for all of you! Have a safe and most wonderful trip! I'll look forward to seeing your blog as you update it when you can!
ReplyDeleteI got tears thinking about Tallulah's birth mother. I can't tell you how impressed I am with your family for choosing this little girl to be a member of the awesomeness!
ReplyDeletePraying and cheering from Florida! I can't wait to read about this next adventure!
Test
ReplyDeleteVibes for a safe and trouble-free journey for you all, Lindsey! Thanks for sharing your blog with us again!
ReplyDeleteLindsey and Burror Clan,
ReplyDeleteI so cant wait to meet her. We will following your journey and thinking of you often while you are picking her up. Sending prayers and hugs to you all.
Love team Swint
I love you all and can't wait to follow along! I am SO excited for this journey and for the blessing of this little one in your lives...and you in hers. And yes, I will say many many prayers for her biological mom {and others} who are missing out on her. She is truly a blessing. Love to you all...safe travels! And this morning I had the breakfast of champions - a Pepsi! {lol}
ReplyDeleteYou had me at unicorns! Much love and prayers as you take these final steps to Tallulah! I now know first hand what those feelings are and will hold your hand tightly.
ReplyDeleteAs a fellow cleft lip/palate China mama, I wish you well and look forward to reading about your China adventures. I saw Meegan Carlson's post on FB (got to know her through our adoption agency!) and so I had to check it out. It's been a while since I've been able to follow a family during their placement trip, so THANK YOU for blogging and bringing me (and your whole community) along. Blessings to you . . . and safe travels!
ReplyDeleteI am excited to follow along and will gladly share daily mundane breakfasts with you. So far its just coffee and green tea, but not together. Green tea first, then coffee - with cream if you must know! Okay, you asked..... Safe travel to the Burror family and a wonderful adventure ahead of you. I look forward to reading your blogs (which i have no idea how you find the time to write). Just remember that the fact that you already overcame one of the biggest challenges, no not the paperwork...the packing! for six!!!! for international travel!!! is proof you are ready and equipped to handle this. Have a wonderful smooth and rewarding trip and keep us updated as much as you can. And by the way, that is soooo cool that money came through last minute like that. You are so guided girlfriend.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you today!!!! Hoping for more tales of beer and ice cream!
ReplyDelete